Afghans continue to be sandwiched by Taliban terror, NATO atrocities

Featured, News of the Day
February 21, 2011 17:25
afghanistan civilian deaths taliban

Afghans look at the bodies of people killed in the suicide bombing in Imam Sahib district in northern Afghanistan. Photo - Fulad Hamdard/AP

Who: Innocent Afghan civilians.

What: More than 100 lives were lost in two separate incidents of terror in the country. A suicide bomber killed at least 30 people in a government office. Another 40 were wounded. Separately, Kunar province Governor Fazlullah Wahidi told reporters intense NATO operation has claimed the lives of at least 64 civilians, of which 20 were women, 29 were children or young adults, and the other 15 were adult men. ISAF, however, did not acknowledge the attacks and insisted 36 insurgents were killed and seven civilians may have been wounded.

Where: The suicide bomber targetted a crowd in Imam Sahib town in northern Afghan province of Kunduz. The civilian deaths by NATO ground and air strikes took place in the Ghazi Abad district of eastern Kunar province.

When: The allegations of widespread NATO-led atrocities surfaced on Sunday, 20 February. The Taliban suicide bomber struck the civilians on Monday morning, 21 February.

Why: Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the Kunduz blast and said men signing up for a community police group were targetted. On the other hand, Rear Admiral Greg Smith, chief ISAF spokesman insisted: “We had clear intelligence they were planning a meeting, a massing of Taliban, in that area that evening.” Innocent Afghan civilians continue to bear the brunt of the war which is in its 10th year. Deaths caused by foreign troops, as well as Islamic insurgents, create deep resentment in the impoverished nation of 23 million souls.

How: Town people were lining up to collect identity cards inside a government office when the Taliban suicide bomber detonated his explosives in northern Afghanistan. In eastern Afghanistan, a footage obtained by Reuters from the area showed two dead children, a boy and a girl, laying in coffins. Six bodies, including four children, were seen by a Reuters witness outside a house in Nangarhar’s Khogiani district. Villagers told Reuters NATO bombardments had killed 12 men, about 30 children and 10 women. One villager, Farhad, said 62 civilians have lost their lives so far in the ISAF operations.

Article Global Facebook Twitter Myspace Friendfeed Technorati del.icio.us Digg Google StumbleUpon Eli Pets

This article was written by on Monday, February 21, 2011 at 5:25 pm. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. Tags:

Fatal error: Uncaught Exception: 12: REST API is deprecated for versions v2.1 and higher (12) thrown in /nfs/c04/h07/mnt/80175/domains/outernationalist.net/html/wp-content/plugins/seo-facebook-comments/facebook/base_facebook.php on line 1273